Not Sure What To Do

So, I've basically decided that blogger irritates the crap out of me. It makes me nuts when I try to post a picture and the alignment of it won't work. It also bugs me that the quality of pictures is so BLAH when I use their upload function. I also hate the lack of addons and plugins and widgets and all that jazz.

Another thing I've decided is, I totally screwed up my other site, Text Imps. My plan & goal was to scour the internet for great posts and blogs to feature each week. Instead of finding something good and moving on, I started subscribing. Then... my subscription list grew and grew. Then... I got hooked on about 70 writers (10 that I'm not sure I could live without). And now... I'm screwed. LOL Instead of jumping from one blog to the next, I feel like I have to stop and read and get to know the writers and... ugh... it's an endless cycle that leaves no time for scouring.

Another big part of my plan was to have people submit their favorites. So far, in 3 months, I've only had 3 submissions. Huge downer.

So now, I'm not exactly sure what I should do.

I'm thinking I may move my personal blog (the one you're reading now) over to Text Imps. I'm not sure if I should combine the 2 sites and just do a once a month feature or what.

I'm also thinking that I may completely scratch the idea of running Text Imps. I mean, I liked the idea. I had fun doing it. But all of a sudden, it turned into work. The whole point was to do something that was fun. Read great stuff & share it with others. Where could I go wrong... ya know??

Tonight will be the 2nd week in a row that I'm not updating with new featured articles. I hate feeling like a failure, but right now, that's the only word that's coming to mind. FAIL!

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm 100% open to any ideas, comments, suggestions, complaints, questions....... whatever.......
Posted on 6:08 PM by Chris and filed under , , | 15 Comments »

15 comments:

Gretchen said... @ March 9, 2009 at 3:34 AM

Okay well we can all submit fun stuff we find.

Also, you could look through Stumble Upon, or Five Star Friday.

OR you could just continue with your personal blog and have the "featured blogs" be a regular part of your personal blog. Like, every Saturday you only feature blogs you like. Maybe one brand new blog and two that are whatever you like. Just an idea.

Terri said... @ March 9, 2009 at 8:00 AM

No advice, just wanted to say I feel your pain when it comes to blogger and photos. Drives me nuts!

Samsmama said... @ March 9, 2009 at 2:21 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only annoyed with posting pictures! However, mine might be because I just haven't figured out an easier way yet.

Val said... @ March 9, 2009 at 8:18 PM

I think combining the two is a great option. Have a featured blog once a week on your personal blog.
That way, you only have one to update :)

Sarah Bonn said... @ March 9, 2009 at 11:42 PM

Yeah, blogging shouldn't be "work" unless you're making money from it and even then...
I say, combine the 2 - just post your favorite thing from the ones you already read. Not that I've done it in a while, but I was giving a little info on the art/craft ones I read and as I went through the list, I actually cut some out that I hadn't enjoyed in a while. Yay, now I have more free time to, you know, be a mom or some junk.

Rachael said... @ March 10, 2009 at 5:35 PM

Looking at both, I feel like combining the two designs would work really well. I would take your blog and put it at the top of the page on the right, then maybe just have one entry show on the first page and below it you could still have recent posts from subscribed blogs and/or blogs you want to highlight. I know google reader has a share function, I don't know if you can do that with other readers. You could still keep your featured blogs with the buttons, but then add your about me etc to your sidebar. Just my opinion, I think it would work really well. It shouldn't be a burden, and if you're not into it anymore, take a break from that part of things!

Ginny Marie said... @ March 10, 2009 at 6:29 PM

I've read everyone else's ideas; I don't really think I have anything to contribute. I love your designs; I think you're an awesome web designer! (You know way more than I ever will!)

thecookie said... @ March 11, 2009 at 7:17 AM

That's the great thing about blogging and site production -- the ability to adapt, change or go in a completely new direction is so easy!

And don't worry -- three months is not even a micronanosecond in Internet time!

You have a wonderful 'voice' and I have the most fun reading some of the features you pick. The fact that you LOVE what you showcase is evident and is why more and more people will find you (either through communal or recripocal linage or word of mouth or Google or happenstance) - and they'll keep coming back.

Don't feel like a failure! You're not one.

Monnik said... @ March 12, 2009 at 10:22 AM

I like the idea of keeping up with your personal blog and creating a feature blog on it. Much less work for you. Work is yucky. Fun is nice.

Unknown said... @ March 12, 2009 at 11:38 AM

I like the idea of a combination...why not?

Chin up, it IS suppose to be fun...so get back to the fun! :)

Unknown said... @ March 12, 2009 at 11:38 AM

oh, and I don't use the upload image from blogger....

I use flickr and just post the html from there to here.

Sprite's Keeper said... @ March 12, 2009 at 3:38 PM

All right, if I make it a personal mission to submit things I like at least every other week, will that help? I actually love the idea of Text Imps, spreading the linky love is always my ulterior motive in the blogosphere! Just keep us in the know. :-)

Anonymous said... @ March 14, 2009 at 3:45 PM

I pottered over to Text Imps back when I first found you but, like you, felt that I needed to read everything and not just the featured articles but the whole blog and archives and all so I went and hid in a corner and whimpered instead.

I love your writing so as long as you keep that up I'll be a happy chick. I think combining the two would work well.

Anonymous said... @ March 25, 2009 at 10:49 AM

Testing something - just ignore me

Anonymous said... @ March 25, 2009 at 11:26 AM

testing something else

Post a Comment

Hey?? I moved -- You should be over at TextImps.com reading & commenting. Don't worry. All of the posts from here are over there now. See ya soon. =D