Take A Ride With Me On This Journey Through Life


Green = My Own Picture


Red = This picture was stolen is being borrowed.



When I was a teenager, my dad bought one of these...



The Chevy didn't have power steering. My mom might weigh 110 (that's pushing it) and I remember her pulling herself off of the seat and hanging onto the steering wheel to try and turn the wheels.

My dad also owned this magnificent beast...



I loved riding on the back of that thing. The knots wind in my hair... the sunburn on my cheeks... the bugs in my teeth smile on my face... FYI - I even have a dog named Harley.

My dad taught me to drive a stick shift in one of these...



I almost killed us when I turned a corner to quickly and almost flipped the Jeep. Dad put his hands on the hardtop & his foot on the dashboard. I think I may have peed a little. The Jeep's radiator leaked and I always had to carry jugs of water with me. People would often point at the front of Jeep and throw hand gestures as to say "Hey, your car is peeing."

In high school I had the honor of driving my brothers and myself to school in one of these...



Ours wasn't as nice, but it got us where we were going. The Belaire had "three on the tree". It also had a windshield that leaked and a turn signal that was held on with a pipe clamp thingy. If the clamp loosened, the turn signal would hang between my legs.

Also in high school, my mom finally got car with less than 3 bazillion miles on it. She (through no fault of her own because my dad found a great deal) was the proud new owner of...



an Aspire. My dad's a big guy (if you couldn't tell from the Harley picture) and when he drove this car, he always reminded me of Bowser & Mario Kart.

My first boyfriend drove...



a '69 Camaro. It was the first car I ever drove at night.

The first time I ever got pulled over by the cops, I was driving...



A Chevy Blazer that had hit a deer and looked like it was gonna fall apart as it drove down the road. Actually, that's why the cop pulled me over.

On my 18th birthday I was driving a blue version of this beauty...



and I got into a wreck on the way from work to school. Yes, I wrecked my daddy's Caddy. Happy Birthday to me! Oh the shame!! I wasn't at fault and the car wasn't all that damaged, but it still sucked.

After I graduated and moved out, my dad bought me a little 4 door Chevy Cavalier. After driving it for a year or so, my grandma got a new car and I bought this one...



from her for $1. I gave my Cavalier to my brother. During one nasty tornado season, he parked the Cavalier in my mom's parking spot and it got crushed by a tree. That'll teach him!!

I was still driving the Mazda 626 when I met hubby. He, was driving this...



His was all decked out with KC lights and a huge push bar. I knew he loved me when he let me drive his truck. I also knew it was real love when he had a sticker with my nickname made to put on the back window.

A few years ago, we traded the Toyota to my brother. In exchange, we ended up with a teal...



'77 Chevy Van. This is another vehicle that has the manual gear shift thingy on the steering wheel's column. I LOVE!!!! this van! It's so loud! And has so much power! And I can smoke them hotrod boys off a line and make them blush like little girls.

With our first tax check as a couple, we purchased a....



Mitsubishi Mirage. After a few years and thousands of miles, the tranny went out and it took almost 3 years to find another for it. $500+ later and it's still sitting right there in the driveway where I took its picture. See the yellow cargo truck? Yeah... That's mine, too. What else is mine?? This thing...



It's a K-9 unit that was bought at an auction. I even managed to find an evil beast of a dog....



to go on rides with me.

This past week, we traded that '77 Van to another brother. Care to see what we traded for? Here it is....



Yes,that's right. I'm the proud owner of a 1986 Cadillac Fleetwood Hearse. Aint it perdy!! BTW, Its for sale. Anyone want a death mobile?

I called to put insurance on it earlier this morning. They asked me 100 different questions about it. They never asked me if I'd be hauling dead bodies, but they DID ask if I would be using it to transport migrant workers.

Well... I guess that's enough of that crap. Hubby's out driving this....



and this post has put me way behind on my chores.


Posted on 10:38 AM by Chris and filed under , | 5 Comments »

5 comments:

thecookie said... @ February 6, 2009 at 1:50 PM

That was AWESOME!
Isn't it funny how so many of our memories have to do with the cars we were driving or soemone we knew owned at the time?

Ginny Marie said... @ February 6, 2009 at 6:22 PM

That was a great post! The jeep was peeing...LOL! My dad had a '57 Chevy, but he sold it about 15 years ago. Too bad.

Terri said... @ February 6, 2009 at 8:24 PM

Great memories!

Val said... @ February 6, 2009 at 10:15 PM

Holy crap! I think I drove at least 4 of those cars...minus the hearse!

Oh the joys of driving a hoopty. Now I am all boring with my minivan. Maybe I will break the key off in the ignition or something. Or better yet, stick a screw driver in the steering column.

Anonymous said... @ February 9, 2009 at 9:38 AM

Transporting immigrant workers? That's all they cared about?! Nice lot of vehicles there. I love the fact that your husband had a sticker with your nickname made for the car.

Post a Comment

Hey?? I moved -- You should be over at TextImps.com reading & commenting. Don't worry. All of the posts from here are over there now. See ya soon. =D